• Full Screen
  • Wide Screen
  • Narrow Screen
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
French (Fr)English (United Kingdom)

Cocumont in Pictures

Print PDF
The commune's heritage

The history of Cocumont has always been intimately linked to that of its vineyards. The monks, both builders and wine growers, exploited this land around the old church known since ancient times. Land which is demanding and hard to work, land which is special; it established a population at "Coculo Monte".

Today, Cocumont has become a large wine-growing commune with remarkable social, commercial and business dynamism. The richness of its heritage and the beauty of its landscape also make it a pleasant place to live.

Cocumont-Vieille-Eglise

The Old Church (Saint-Jean de Vidailhac, Saint Anne):

Situated behind the Wine Cooperative, it is a little jewel of Romanesque art dating from the end of the 11th century with 9th century Carolingian elements.

A dependancy of the Abbey of Conques, its nave was enlarged and its apse and doorway rebuilt in the 12th century. The chapel of Saint Anne dates from 1576.  

The 16th century bell tower rebuilt in 1791. Magnificent porch with carved capitals and a cul de four apse. Listed as a Historic Monument since 1927. Cemetery with Carolingian tombs.  

Cocumont-Goutz

The Church at Goutz (Saint-Martin called the Church of Goux de Loutrange):

Pretty Romanesque church, probably fortified, built in the 12th century on a mound with ditches constucted in the 11th or 12th centuries.

Ruined in 1383 and at the end of the 16th century, it was restored in the 18th. Rich decoration in the sanctuary.

Magnificent view over the valley. Listed as a Historic Monument in 1965

The Church of Briolet (Saint-Gervais): romanesque church of the 12th century built on the southern slope of a hill, it has a gabled bell tower of the 15th century. Ruined in 1957, it has lost its 16th century wall paintings.

Cocumont-Eglise-bourg

Parish Church (Saint Jean-Baptiste):

built in 1868 in neo-gothic style on the site of the former chapel of the Company of White Penitents.

 

 

Cocumont-pigeonnier

Dovecote: building restored with stonework exposed. It is built at ground level with the entrance holes on the East side.

 

 

Cocumont-lavoir
Washing places (Lavoirs) :

pretty village washing place rebuilt in 1910 and fountain washing place d’As Courdeû restored in 2003.

 

Cocumont-Ferme-marmandaisFarms of the Marmandais :

Showing Basque influence, these farms are generally of the late 18th century.

Formerly with a central barn, they have a very large doorway under a wide overhang mounted on wooden pilars called "the balet" (these houses are not visitable)

 

Forge, barn and smithy of Lagravette:

A beautiful architectural ensemble of rural heritage dating from the end of the 18th century (private: not visitable).

Presbytery of la Cure:

A pretty house built or rebuilt in 1757. Former presbytery of the priest of Loutrange sold off in 1874 and transformed into a dwelling house in 1918. 

The ‘palombières’:

Hunting the ‘palombe’ (migrating pigeon) in a ‘palombière’ is a centuries-old tradition which is alive and well at Cocumont. Some fifteen exist in the commune (some of them with nets), occupied by people fascinated by the subtle contest between the hunter and the ‘blue bird’ and attached to the convivial life of the cabin. One must also include several more rudimentary structures for the traditional hunting of the skylark with nets. 

chasse__palombe_1chasse_palombe_2

 
You are here: AN ATTRACTIVE VILLAGE Cocumont in Pictures